Looking for a classic holiday treat? If you need something sweet this holiday, try these low FODMAP rice krispies. Made with gluten-free Rice Krispies cereal and low FODMAP marshmallows, these FODMAP friendly treats are sure to please.
These rice krispies are one of my favourite holiday desserts. These sweet treats were a Christmas staple in our family. They're often my go-to when I'm looking for a holiday classic or if I'm feeling a little nostalgic.
This recipe is very easy to make so this would be a great family activity or an easy holiday distraction for little ones.
Think these low FODMAP rice krispies sound great, but you don't have time to try them now? Don't worry. You can PIN THIS POST for later.
Keep It FODMAP Friendly
These rice krispies are a great kid-friendly holiday treat. Check out the notes below for tips to keep this recipe FODMAP friendly.
First, if you're in the elimination phase, you'll need to use gluten-free rice krispies. For my Canadian peeps, Kellogg's brown rice line is gluten-free and doesn't have any other FODMAPs. If you're using a different brand, make sure to check the ingredients using your Monash app.
Next up is marshmallows. These can be a little tricky. A lot of marshmallow brands use either corn syrup or high fructose corn syrup. Corn syrup hasn't been tested by Monash yet, so it isn't suitable for the elimination phase.
High fructose corn syrup (HFCS) is a processed sweetener. According to Monash University, it's high FODMAP and should be avoided during elimination. You can read more about high fructose corn syrup here.
I have had the best luck with a brand called “marshmallow fluff.” It's made with glucose, sugar, egg whites, and vanillin. This magical fluff comes in a jar, so it isn't great for all marshmallow projects (like hot chocolate or just plain snackable marshmallows), but it's perfect for our rice krispies.
Want to try these low FODMAP rice krispies? Don't forget to PIN THIS RECIPE for later.
Looking for a classic FODMAP friendly holiday recipe? Try these low FODMAP rice krispies! This tasty treat is easy to make and lasts up to a week.
- 1 jar (213g) low FODMAP marshmallows
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 6 cups gluten-free rice krispies
- Melt marshmallows and butter in a large pot over medium heat. Stir until smooth, then remove from heat and mix in the vanilla.
- Add rice krispies in small batches, stirring after each addition to coat. Once all of the rice krispies have been added, press the cereal mixture into a greased baking dish, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a week.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 60 minutes
- Category: Dessert, Snack, treat
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 square
- Calories: 79
- Sugar: 5 g
- Sodium: 49 mg
- Fat: 3 g
- Saturated Fat: 2 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 1 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 14 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 1 g
- Cholesterol: 7 mg
Keywords: Low FODMAP Rice Krispies, Gluten-Free Rice Krispies, Easy Rice Krispies
You might also like one of these:
- Low FODMAP Chocolate Hazelnut Mousse Calling all my choco-holics! This low FODMAP chocolate hazelnut mousse is dangerously easy to make!!
- Low FODMAP Salted Caramel Cupcakes Ready for a dessert that’s dressed to impressed? With the perfect blend of sweet and salty, these easy low FODMAP salted caramel cupcakes will rock your socks!
- Low FODMAP Maple Whisky Fudge Have a sweet tooth that can’t be tamed? With a rich, silky texture and a deep, bold flavour, this low FODMAP maple whisky fudge is so good you’ll forget it’s low FODMAP!
If you like this post, don't forget to share it! Follow me on Instagram @fodmapformula for more tips and recipes that are FODMAP friendly! Together we'll get the low FODMAP diet down to a science!