Looking for a light and healthy lunch idea? This quick and easy low FODMAP Greek salad is the perfect way to add a fresh pop of flavour to your day!
Way back in the day when I was a grunt in a swanky law firm in downtown Toronto, my friends and I would head down to our favourite restaurant to take a few deep breaths, share the good gossip (the kind you can't say in the office), and brace ourselves for the afternoon ahead.
We loved our little haunt because the service was ridiculously fast and the food was phenomenal! Sadly the restaurant is no more, but the memory of their Greek salad lives on in my memory!
And, since I figured out how to make their salad dressing, it lives on in my tummy too!
If you're a fan of a classic Greek salad, this recipe is gonna hit the spot!
Keep it FODMAP friendly
If you're looking for a light and fresh lunch idea, this easy peasy Greek salad is gonna rock your socks! Check out the notes below for tips on keeping this recipe FODMAP friendly!
First up, cherry tomatoes. According to Monash University, 5 cherries (75 g) per sitting are low FODMAP. Servings of 16 cherries (220 g) or more are moderately high in the FODMAP fructan.
We'll be using 5 cherry tomatoes for our greek salad. So you'll be within Monash's recommended range.
Next up, feta cheese. The Monash app lists the low FODMAP serving of feta cheese as 3 tbsp (40 g) per sitting. But this recommendation is based on the serving size for feta, not the FODMAP content.
If you look in the notes in the app, Monash clarifies that they only found trace amounts of lactose in feta cheese. That means it won't add anything notable to your FODMAP load.
We'll also be using lemon juice. Lemon juice is listed in the Monash app as low FODMAP in servings of 1/2 a cup (125 g) per sitting. Servings of 3/4 cup (187 g) are moderately high in the FODMAP fructan as well.
We only need 1 tbps of lemon juice to make our dressing. But since we'll only be using 1-2 tbsps of dressing for the actual salad, this won't add anything notable to your FODMAP load.
The remaining ingredients don't contain any FODMAPs, so they won't add anything to your FODMAP load, either!
Pick your headliner
There are lots of options for adding a little protein to your low FODMAP Greek salad! Try adding this low FODMAP chicken souvlaki, these easy low FODMAP seasoned chicken breasts, or marinate some pork tenderloin in the extra salad dressing and make some tasty pork souvlaki!
Wondering how this easy low FODMAP Greek salad stacks up? Check out the notes below to see how many servings of each FODMAP group are in this recipe.
Fructose = 0
Lactose = 0
Fructan = 1
GOS = 0
Polyol = 0
Want to try this tasty recipe? Don't forget to save it for later!
This quick and easy low FODMAP Greek salad will be the talk of your lunch table!
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp garlic-infused oil
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup iceberg lettuce, chopped
- 4 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup cucumber, chopped
- 1 tbsp kalamata olives, pitted
- 1 tbsp feta cheese, crumbled
- freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- *Optional – low FODMAP seasoned chicken breast
- Pop all of the dressing ingredients in an airtight container and shake to blend.
- Pop all of your salad ingredients on your plate and add 1-2 tbsp of salad dressing. Toss to coat and serve immediately.
Recommended low FODMAP serving – 1 Greek salad per sitting
- Category: side dish, lunch
- Serving Size: 1 salad
- Calories: 289
- Sugar: 4 g
- Sodium: 717 mg
- Fat: 27 g
- Saturated Fat: 6 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 12 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 5 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 6 g
- Cholesterol: 25 mg
Keywords: low FODMAP Greek salad, easy greek salad
You might also like one of these:
- Low FODMAP Mediterranean Pizza Whether you're cooking up a date-night extravaganza or planning out your movie night menu, this easy low FODMAP Mediterranean pizza will hit the spot!
- Low FODMAP Mandarin and Goat Cheese Salad Looking for a lunch that travels? Made with fresh, healthy ingredients and a fun pop of colour, this simple salad will be the talk of your lunch table!
- Low FODMAP Chicken Souvlaki Looking for a healthy lunch to take on the go? Packed with veggies and a fresh pop of lemon, this quick and easy low FODMAP chicken souvlaki will become your new favourite dish!
If you like this post, don't forget to share it! Together we'll get the low FODMAP diet down to a science!