Need help finding a low FODMAP vegetable broth? This recipe has no detectable FODMAPs, so you can easily add a fresh pop of flavour to all your favourite dishes!
While I'm a huge fan of whole foods, I also love the magic of cooking! I love the smell of layering flavours, the chemistry of creating tiny chain-reactions, and the feeling of taking a handful of individual ingredients and weaving them together into something brand new!
While these kinds of recipes may taste delicious, using compound ingredients like vegetable broth can make your FODMAP math a little complicated!
For starters, most prepared veggie broths contain garlic and onion, as well as other high FODMAP like celery and beet juice, etc.
While some of these ingredients have a smaller low FODMAP serving, it's impossible to know how how much of each ingredient is in the broth. So there's no way to know how much of each ingredient you're adding to your recipe. This can make adjusting your FODMAP math nearly impossible.
My solution was to create a vegetable broth with no FODMAPs (yay!). This recipe uses a ton of hearty vegetables and fresh herbs to draw out the rich, earthy flavour of a proper vegetable broth. But it focuses on vegetables without any detectable FODMAPs. So you can add it to all your favourite recipes without having to adjust your FODMAP math.
Heads up, I like to make this veggie broth in bulk and freeze it in 1/4 cup portions. That way, I always have it on hand when I need it!
Keep it FODMAP friendly
I hope you're ready for some serious cooking adventures because this low FODMAP vegetable broth doesn't have any FODMAPs! That means you can add a hearty pop of flavour to all your favourite projects without adding anything to your FODMAP load!
Not sure how to calculate your FODMAP load? You can download a FODMAP math cheat sheet from my VIP resource library. It will walk you through how to calculate how many servings of each FODMAP group are in your recipe and how to add them up correctly to avoid FODMAP stacking!
Check out the FODMAP math below to see how many servings of each FODMAP group are in one cup of this recipe. Spoiler alert! There aren't any!
Lactose = 0
Fructan = 0
GOS = 0
Polyol = 0
This easy low FODMAP vegetable broth will add a ton of flavour to your favourite dishes without any extra FODMAPs!
- 3 lg carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 parsnips, peeled and chopped
- 1 common tomato, seeded and quartered
- 8 whole peppercorns
- 6 cups water
- 1/2 cup green onions – green parts only, diced
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley
- Place the carrots, parsnips, tomato, peppercorns, and water in a large stock pot and simmer for 1 hour.
- Add the green onions, thyme, and parsley and simmer for 20 more minutes.
- Skim any gunk off the top of the pot, then strain the broth into an airtight container. Store in the fridge for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Recommended low FODMAP serving – 1 cup (this recipe has no FODMAPs)
- Category: Broth
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 55
- Sugar: 4
- Sodium: 42
- Fat: 0
- Saturated Fat: 0
- Unsaturated Fat: 0
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 13
- Fiber: 4
- Protein: 2
- Cholesterol: 0
Keywords: vegetable broth, vegetable stock, low FODMAP vegetable broth, low FODMAP vegetable stock
This low FODMAP vegetable broth will add a fresh pop of flavour to any recipe, without adding any FODMAPs! If you like this recipe, don't forget to share it! Together we'll get the low FODMAP diet down to a science!
P.S. Want access to bonus content, VIP discounts, and some fabulous freebies? Sign up for my mailing list below, and you'll get all these goodies and more sent directly to your inbox!
You might also like one of these recipe ideas:
- Low FODMAP Roasted Red Pepper Soup Looking for lunch idea you can take on-the-go? Grab your favourite mason jar and try this easy low FODMAP roasted red pepper soup!
- Low FODMAP Pumpkin Soup Looking for a savoury lunch idea? Grab your favourite book and cozy up with this easy low FODMAP pumpkin soup!
- Low FODMAP Beef Stew Looking for a hearty dinner idea? Your whole family will love this savory beef stew!