Add a splash of summer to your day with this epic low FODMAP rhubarb curd! Try it in your favourite tarts, drizzle it on your scones and cakes, or pop it on your morning toast to take any recipe to the next level!
So, last year a FODMAP Formula community member was kind enough to share her rhubarb lemonade recipe with me! I Franken-FODMAPed it and it's amazing and you should definitely drink it (especially with gin, but you didn't hear that from me)!
I sent my husband to the store to get rhubarb for the lemonade. But he was a little unclear about how much we actually needed so he bought. it. all! So after I made that recipe, I had a whole fridge full of rhubarb and no idea what to do with it!
I'd always wanted to make my own curd, so I decided to give it a shot. Friend, it's epic! I spent a week drizzling this magic on scones, on doughnuts, in an act of quiet desperation I ate it on toast, lol! I was going to try making tarts (which was my original vision), but it was literally gone before I had the chance!
So if you're looking for a way to turn your rhubarb into actual magic, this low FODMAP rhubarb curd will hit you right in the sweet spot!
Keep it FODMAP friendly
The only thing we need to think about with this mouthwatering rhubarb curd is lemon juice. But there's so little lemon juice per serving it won't add anything notable to your FODMAP load.
As long as you're using a low FODMAP food colouring, none of the remaining ingredients have any notable FODMAPs.
The best part of this recipe is that it has no notable FODMAPs! So you can drizzle, dip, and devour with abandon (from a FODMAP perspective, of course)!
Fructose = 0
Lactose = 0
Fructan = 0
GOS = 0
Polyol = 0
Want to try this tasty recipe? Don't forget to save it for later!
Brace your taste buds! This quick and easy low FODMAP rhubarb curd is about to rock your socks!
- 365 g fresh rhubarb – trimmed, cut into 1” chunks
- 1/4 cups water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 4 eggs, whisked
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2–3 drops red food colouring (optional)
- Pop the rhubarb and water in a blender or food processer and blend until it's very smooth.
- Pour the puree through a sieve into a saucepan. Push on the pulp with the back of a spoon to make sure you get as much juice as you can.
- Add the sugar and lemon juice and stir until the sugar has dissolved. Then add the prepared eggs and whisk everything together until it's combined.
- Turn the burner to medium-high heat and start whisking the mixture (don't stop stirring!) as you bring it to a gentle simmer. You can add a few drops of food colouring now if you want your curd to take on that classic pink colour.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and keep stirring until the curd is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Once it's thickened, take the pan off the burner and add the butter in small batches. Make sure the butter is fully incorporated before you add more.
- Strain the curd through a sieve to catch any surprise egg pieces and refrigerate overnight in an airtight container (the curd will continue to thicken in the fridge). Use within 2 weeks.
Recommended low FODMAP serving – 1-2 tbsp of curd per sitting
Make sure you stir the curd consistently as you heat it up or you may end up making scrambled eggs by accident!
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 10
Keywords: rhubarb curd, lemon rhubarb curd, low FODMAP rhubarb curd
If you like this post, don't forget to share it! Together we'll get the low FODMAP diet down to a science!
PS Want access to bonus content, VIP discounts, and some fabulous freebies? Sign up for my mailing list below and you'll get all these goodies and more sent directly to your inbox!
You might also like one of these:
- Low FODMAP Orange Scones Made with fresh orange zest and a pinch of magic, these orange scones are a stress-free way to start your busy day.
- Low FODMAP Rhubarb Lemonade Looking for a creative way to hydrate this summer? Get fresh with this magical rhubarb lemonade!
- Low FODMAP Strawberry Breakfast Bars Looking for a quick and easy breakfast you can make in advance? These low FODMAP strawberry breakfast bars are one sweet way to start your day!
If you like this post don't forget to share it! Follow me on YouTube @flipyourleaf for a ton of videos on understanding FODMAPs, IBS mechanics, and how to feel safe in your body. Together we'll get the low FODMAP diet down to a science!