Looking for a tasty dinner you can make in a flash? This quick and easy low FODMAP sesame beef stir-fry is the perfect way to shake up your dinner routine!
I'm struggling with this whole isolation thing, guys! While, as an introvert, I've essentially been training for this my whole life, I thrive on routine. So living in a constant state of chaos (in a house suddenly full of people) has definitely taken a toll on me!
This easy peasy low FODMAP sesame beef stir-fry is packed with fresh flavours and it's ready in just 30 minutes. So it's perfect for days I'm having a little trouble making to from am to pm!
Heads up, the recipe calls for sesame seeds, but I couldn't find any at our local store (seriously, who is hoarding sesame seeds?). So, unfortunately, there are none in my photo. Don't worry if you can't find them either (or you don't want to leave your house for them). This recipe is still fantastic without them!
Keep it FODMAP friendly
This easy low FODMAP sesame beef stir-fry will have even your pickiest eaters coming back for seconds! Check out the notes below for tips on keeping this recipe FODMAP friendly!
First up, beef broth. It can be really challenging to find a low FODMAP beef broth since most pre-packaged products use garlic and onion.
For my North American peeps, Campbell's makes an onion and garlic-free beef broth. They label onion and garlic separately from “spices” and “natural flavours” so if they're not on the label, you're good to go.
If you can't find a low FODMAP beef broth at your local store, or you prefer to make your own, you can try my low FODMAP beef stock! My recipe has no FODMAPs, so it won't add anything to your FODMAP load.
Heads up, I used my beef stock to calculate the FODMAP math for this recipe. If you use a different product, don't forget to adjust your math!
Next up, soy sauce. Most soy sauces have a small amount of onion and garlic as well as wheat. But don't worry! Monash University has tested multiple brands and determined soy sauce is low FODMAP in servings of 2 tbsp (42 g) per sitting.
We'll be using 4 tsp of soy sauce total, which works out to 14 g per serving. This is well within Monash's recommended range.
We'll also be using fresh ginger. According to the Monash app, fresh ginger doesn't have any detectable FODMAPs. So it won't add anything to your FODMAP load.
Next up, steak. Since steak is a protein, it doesn't have any FODMAPs either (unless you add them). So this won't contribute anything to your FODMAP load.
Our recipe also calls for sesame seeds (currently MIA in the photo!). According to Monash, sesame seeds are low FODMAP in servings of 1 tbsp (11 g) per sitting. Servings of 6 tbsp (66 g) or more are high in the FODMAP fructan.
We'll be using 2 tsp of sesame seeds total, which works out to 4 g per serving. This won't add anything notable to your FODMAP load.
Nex up, broccoli. According to the Monash app, broccoli heads (a.k.a. florets) are low FODMAP in servings of 1 cup (75 g) per sitting. Servings of 2 + 2/3 cups (240 g) are high in the FODMAP fructan.
We'll be using 1 cup of broccoli heads total, which works out to 64 g per serving. This is within Monash's recommended range.
Next up, red peppers. According to Monash, red peppers don't have any detectable FODMAPs. But they do contain a chemical called capsaicin, which is known to cause heartburn in some people. Keep that in mind if you have a secondary issue involving heartburn.
Last but not least, brown rice. Monash has determined brown rice doesn't have any detectable FODMAPs. So you can add a little extra if you're hungry without adding anything to your FODMAP load.
Wondering how this easy low FODMAP sesame beef stir-fry stacks up? Check out the notes below to see how many servings of each FODMAP group are in one serving of this recipe.
Fructose = 0
Lactose = 0
Fructan = 1
GOS = 0
Polyol = 0
Want to try this tasty recipe? Don't forget to save it for later!
Looking for a quick and easy dinner idea? Even your pickiest eaters will come back for seconds of this simple low FODMAP sesame beef stirfry!
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1/2 cup low FODMAP beef broth
- 4 tsp low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, minced
- 2 tsp vegetable oil, divided
- 1/2 lb top sirloin steak, thinly sliced
- 2 tsp toasted sesame seeds, divided
- 1 cup broccoli – heads only
- 1 small red pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- Combine the cornstarch and a spoonfull or two of beef broth in a small bowl and whisk until it forms a paste. Add the remaining beef broth, soy sauce, and ginger and whisk until thoroughly combined.
- Heat 1 tsp of oil in a large frying pan and add the beef and 1 tsp of sesame seeds. Stir-fry the beef until it's cooked through and transfer to a plate. Cover to keep warm.
- Add the remaining oil and broccoli heads to the pan. Cook for 2 minutes, then add the peppers and cook for another 4-6 minutes (or until the vegetables are tender but still crisp).
- Give your cornstarch mixture a final stir and pour it over the vegetables. Bring the sauce to a light boil and stir for 2 minutes (or until the sauce has thickened). Add the beef and stir until it's heated through.
- Divide the rice between two plates and top each with an even serving of the beef mixture. Sprinkle with the remaining sesame seeds and serve.
Recommended low FODMAP serving – 1/2 recipe
Slice your steak using a serated blade (like a bread knife) to get the slices nice and thin without tearing or squishing the meat
- Category: dinner
- Method: stove-top, stir-fry
- Serving Size: 1/2 of recipe
- Calories: 401
- Sugar: 1 g
- Sodium: 733 mg
- Fat: 16 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 27 g
- Fiber: 4 g
- Protein: 37 g
- Cholesterol: 67 mg
Keywords: sesame beef stir fry, low FODMAP sesame beef stir-fry
You might also like one of these:
- Low FODMAP Fajita Stir-Fry Looking for a quick and easy dinner idea? This simple low FODMAP fajita stir-fry is the classic family dinner you’ve been craving!
- Low FODMAP Sloppy Joe's Looking for a savoury dinner idea? This North American classic will have even your pickiest eaters coming back for seconds!
- Low FODMAP Tacos Taco Tuesday is back on the menu with this quick and easy low FODMAP taco seasoning! Grab the gang and dig in!
If you like this post, don't forget to share it! Together we'll get the low FODMAP diet down to a science!