Packed with savoury flavour, this low FODMAP chicken shawarma plate will have a permanent place on your weekly menu!
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 1/4 tsp ground allspice
- pinch nutmeg
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup lactose-free plain yogurt
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp dried dill
- 1/2 tsp honey
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 + 1/4 cups water
- 2 cups brown basmati rice
- 1 cup leeks – green part only, diced
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup canned lentils, drained
- Preheat your oven to 450 ℉ and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine the shawarma spices in a small dish. Add the chicken thighs to a large bowl and season with 1 tbsp of the shawarma spice. Toss to coat evenly.
- Heat a large frying pan over medium heat. Heat up your vegetable oil and add the chicken thighs, browning on each side for 3 – 4 minutes.
- Transfer the chicken thighs to the prepared baking sheet and bake until cooked through (about 10 – 12 minutes). Slice into small pieces and serve with rice and a garden salad.
- Combine the yogurt, lemon juice, dill and honey in a small dish. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Add bay leaves, cumin, salt, and pepper to the water and bring to a boil. Add your rice and cook according to the package instructions.
- While the rice is cooking, heat a large frying pan over medium-low heat. Warm up your oil and add the leeks. Cook on medium-low heat until the leeks are tender and beginning to carmelize. Transfer them to a plate lined with paper towel. Sprinkle the onions with a little salt to make them crisp up as they cool down.
- Once the rice is cooked, stir in the rinsed lentils and the carmelized leeks and cover the pot with a tea towel and replace the lid. Let the rice sit for 10 more minutes. Fluff with a fork and serve warm.
Recommended low FODMAP serving – 1/4 shawarma, 1/2 cup rice, and 2 tbsp yogurt sauce per sitting.
You can speed up the rice by preparing it in a rice cooker. Just add the spices, water, and rice and cook according to your rice cookers instructions, then continue with the remaining steps.
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Category: lunch, dinner
Keywords: low FODMAP shawarma, low FODMAP chicken shawarma, low FODMAP shawarma plate, gluten-free shawarma plate