Looking for a show-stopping dinner idea? This easy low FODMAP beef bourguignon will be the talk of your table!
- 1 tbsp low FODMAP garlic-infused oil
- 3 strips of bacon, roughly chopped
- 3lbs brisket, trimmed and cut into 2” chunks
- 1 cup leeks – green part only, sliced
- 1 lg carrot, sliced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 cups high-quality red wine
- 2 tbsp low FODMAP flour
- 2 cups low FODMAP beef stock
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley, freshly chopped
- 1 tsp fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 2 tbsp butter
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed (try not to let them break apart)
- 1 cup button mushrooms, rinsed, dried, and quartered
- Add the garlic-infused oil and bacon to a large frying pan and sautee over medium heat until bacon is crispy. Transfer bacon to slow cooker using a slotted spoon.
- Pat your beef dry and brown the pieces in the bacon fat in small batches. Add each batch to the slow cooker once browned on all sides. Top with leeks, carrots, salt, and pepper.
- Without wiping the frying pan down, add the red wine to the pan and gently simmer for 5 minutes.
- Scoop a few spoonfulls of wine into a small bowl or measuring cup and mix in the flour. Whisk until the flour makes a paste. Whisk the paste back into the wine and simmer for 3 more minutes.
- Add the wine, beef stock, tomato paste, and herbs into the slow cooker. Stir gently to combine the ingredients and cook on HIGH for 6-8 hours (or until beef is falling apart).
- Once the beef bourguignon has cooked, in a small frying pan melt the butter over medium-low heat and add the smashed garlic. Let the garlic pieces simmer gently for 5-10 minutes, then strain the butter though two layers of cheesecloth back into the frying pan.
- Raise the heat to medium-high and sautee the mushrooms until they’re golden brown and reduced in size (about 5-8 minutes).
- Add the mushrooms to the slow cooker and cook on HIGH with the lid removed until the sauce has thickened (between 10-20 minutes). Serve over low FODMAP noodles, rice, or mashed potatoes.
Recommended low FODMAP serving – 1 cup of beef bourguignon per sitting
If you find the wine flavour too intense, use 2 cups of wine and 3 cups of beef stock for a more mellow flavour
- Category: dinner
- Method: slow cooker
- Cuisine: french
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 431
- Sugar: 2 g
- Sodium: 117 mg
- Fat: 11 g
- Saturated Fat: 3 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 4 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 13 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 53 g
- Cholesterol: 15 mg
Keywords: Low FODMAP beef bourguignon, gluten-free beef bourguignon, bœuf à la bourguignonne, beef burgundy