Wake up your taste buds with these epic low FODMAP strawberry pastry tarts!
- 2 cups low fodmap all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, cubed and chilled
- 1 egg
- 6 tbsp lactose-free milk
- 3/4 cup pure strawberry jam
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten and divided
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 4 1/2 tsp lactose-free milk
- red or pink food coloring *optional
- rainbow sprinkles * optional but highly encouraged
- Stick the flour, sugar, and salt in a food processor or strong blender and blend for 20 seconds. Add the butter and pulse until it looks like coarse crumbs.
- Whisk the egg and milk together in a small bowl and add it small batches (like 1 tbsp) to the flour mixture until it comes together into a blob.
- Put the dough onto a lightly floured surface and roll or compress the dough into a ball (it will be a little sticky). Cut the dough in half. Shape each half into a rectangle and wrap it in plastic wrap. Chill in the fridge for at least one hour.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Take out one of the prepared doughs and roll it into a 12 x 10″ rectangle on a lightly floured surface. The dough should be 1/4″ thick.
- Cut the dough into 8 equal rectangles (I used a pizza cutter). Place half the rectangles on the baking sheet. Combine the jam and the cornstarch in a small bowl and spoon 1 tbsp of jam into the center of each rectangle. Brush around the jam with egg and cover with the remaining squares of pastry. Crimp the edges of the pastry closed with a fork and refrigerate for 10 minutes. Repeat with the second ball of dough.
- Brush the tops of each pastry with the remaining egg and bake for 16-18 minutes (or until the tops of the pastries are golden brown). Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely
- Slowly combine the icing sugar and milk in small bowl until you get a thick icing. Add food colouring if you’re using it.
- Spoon the icing over the cooled pastry tarts and decorate with sprinkles. Let the icing set before serving or the sprinkles will fall off.
Recommended serving size – 1 pastry per sitting
- Prep Time: 90
- Cook Time: 16
- Category: breakfast, dessert
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: american
- Serving Size: 1 tart
- Calories: 499
- Sugar: 32 g
- Sodium: 172 mg
- Fat: 26 g
- Saturated Fat: 16 g
- Unsaturated Fat: 1 g
- Trans Fat: 1 g
- Carbohydrates: 62 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 5 g
- Cholesterol: 123 mg
Keywords: strawberry hand pie, strawberry pastry tart, gluten-free strawberry pastry tart, gluten-free strawberry pastry tart, low FODMAP strawberry pastry tart, low FODMAP strawberry hand pie